“I’m sick” Missy said as Collin grabbed my suitcase and put it in the back of the car. I didn’t care I was just happy to be with Missy again. She was my best friend, but she was a lot of people’s best friend. Collin always had to remind me, “You are not the only one who loves Missy”, and he was right. I loved and cared about her very much but so did a lot of other people. No matter how much any of us loved her it did not change the fact that she had cystic fibrosis. We went to In and Out Burger,file_000-18 I got the best neapolitan milkshake ever and then we went home. To our home, to my new home in San Jose! Missy ate her food like a champ, and Doc would not leave her alone.

Doc not leaving Missy alone

We all tried to stay up and drink PBR and celebrate, but Missy was sick and I was tired from traveling so we went to bed.

The next day we went to Stanford in Palo Alto. We got there around 11am, by 3pm we were in some sort of fancy waiting room. Which was really just bigger than all of the other ones we had been in all day. There was another woman in the waiting room, she had just been diagnosed with CF at the age of 38 (I don’t remember the exact age I just remember that catching me off guard, she was considerably older than us)  She wished Missy all the best after they talked for a little bit. I remember feeling overwhelmed, I wanted to know more, I needed to know more about all of this.

It was 5:30pm almost 6:00pm by the time Missy got a room, Collin and I had gone to get her a sandwich at a small store and deli close by. When we got back to Stanford they told Missy she would have to switch rooms because she needed a heart monitor.

I was annoyed. We spent all day waiting for a room and now we have one and it isn’t the right kind!? How hard is this people, come on like you didn’t know you needed the heart monitor till now? Moving people around who are sick isn’t the best idea ya know! I clearly knew more than the doctors…. Missy was really good at being okay with this type of thing and took it in stride. Or maybe I was just expressing enough frustration for the both of us. It was my first day, I was still a bit unsure how to handle this stuff.   A little bit later she said to us “You can go home, you don’t have to wait here with me.” We protested and stayed longer.  By 9 we decided it was time to drive home. Everybody was tired,  Missy said she would let us know when they finally figured out her room. So we left, and drove to our home. We stopped at this place called “The Nut House” on the way.  The bartender was this huge woman who looked like she could take ANYONE out in a second. We had a beer, and continued on our way home. Missy texted me that she got a room and I texted her when I got home.


And that was my first day in San Jose.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s